The Long Reach Long Riders (LRLR) celebrated their upcoming ride through the Desert Southwest with a raffle and live auction to benefit Behind the Scenes during the USITT Conference in Salt Lake City last week.
Sales of raffle tickets, some key donations, and sales of BTS and LRLR-branded swag raised over $15,000 for the charity. The LRLR 2016 ride, dubbed the Radioactive Ride, starts on June 4th in Las Cruces, NM. The riders cover all their own expenses so everything they raise goes to the charity. Sponsor a rider today here.
Festivities led off with the traditional kazoo parade led by Bill Sapsis and many of the LRLR.
Following the parade, students representing the USITT Chapter at Penn State University made their annual presentation of proceeds from their ongoing fundraising activities and Pledge-a-Product partners A.C.T Lighting (dot2 Series of Lighting Control Solutions from MA Lighting), ETC (irFR and aRFR application for iOS and Android devices), and Rosco (Roscolux #359), presented checks from the sales of their products pledged to BTS.
Of particular note is that ETC’s donation brings their total donation from sales of the apps to just over a quarter of a million dollars.
Just a few minutes before the raffle started Bill Sapsis announced he would donate up to $1,000 to match the amount raised in last minute ticket sales. Reid Neslage from H&H Specialties stepped up with another $1,000 to double the incentive. There was a flurry of activity as the crowd stepped up and made Bill and Reid pay out the full amount.
The winners and their prizes are:
– Grand Prize, Vectorworks Spotlight with Renderworks won by Ella Lemos
– BTS Ghostlight from Altman Rentals won by Heidi Bowers
– ETC Source 4 Mini Portable from BMI Supply – won by Kim Pelle
– 360 Degree Spherical Panorama Camera from InterAmerica Stage won by Aria Grosvenor
– LDI 2016 Conference Registration from LDI won by Michael Ekema-Nordella
– $250 Gift Certificate from Oasis Stage Werks won by Dave Mickey
– Electrician’s Tool Kit from Production Advantage won by Lori Baruch
– $250 Gift Certificate from Sapsis Rigging won by Robert Haycock
– PK Grill & Smoker from Stageworks won by Chelsea Bannan
– USITT 2017 Full Conference Registration from USITT won by Casey Covey
Special thanks go to USITT for making our presence at the show possible; to Moe Conn, Kim Craigie, Mark and Ali Heiser, and Bill Sapsis, for their invaluable help; to the donors of our fabulous prizes; and to all who bought raffle tickets, auction items, and swag.
All proceeds go to the Behind the Scenes charity which assists entertainment technology industry professionals or their immediate family members who are ill or injured. For more information about Behind the Scenes, to donate, or to apply for a grant, visit Behind the Scenes.