Fostex has introduced the TH-900 dynamic headphones and the HP-A8C 32-bit DAC/headphone amplifier, sold separately but optimized to work together.
The TH-900 headphones include specially engineered driver unit with a 1.5 tesla magnetic circuit that allows the unit to achieve significantly wider range, as well as the company’s proprietary “Biodyna” 50mm biodynamic diaphragm for purity of sound reproduction.
The headphones are crafted with Japanese Cherry Birch housings, which offer a rigid and extremely dense texture that creates a robust acoustic performance. Style embellishments include housings finished in a traditional Japanese (“Urushi”) lacquer in brilliant Bordeaux red by a 100-year-old artisan group.
The unit’s 3m cord with a gold plated 6.3mm stereo plug is also engineered for maximum durability using 7N grade oxygen free copper (OFC). The TH-900 ships with a headphone stand.
The HP-A8C is a 32-bit Digital Audio Converter and headphone amplifier offers DSD audio playback function, as well as a high-precision electronic volume knob and TCXO clock for Asynchronous mode.
Additional features of the HP-A8C:
• Complies with USB Audio Class 2.0 up to 32bit/192kHz (24 bit on Windows)
• Large capacity toroidal power transformer
• Built-in SD (SDHC) card drive for epoch-making DSD file (DSF format) reproduction in addition to the firmware update
• Selectable between the internal clock and the external clock (except for USB and SD card)
• Built-in up-sampling function of x2 and x4
• Digital Filter selection between the conventional “sharp roll-off” and the “minimum delay” developed by Asahi Kasei to eliminate pre-echo
• Direct Out mode by passing the volume control circuit
• Variable headphone amplifier’s gain from 0 dB to -12 dB by 0.5 dB step for perfect match with any type of headphones
• Various inputs including USB, AES/EBU, Coaxial, Optical (x2) and analog RCA
• A dedicated Remote Controller is supplied
Style features such as the enclosure with a glass front panel and sleek black side panels and striking accents like the pure white Organic LED display enhance the aesthetic value.
The TH-900 and HP-A8C are separately priced at $1999.99 each and are available now at select authorized US Fostex retailers. Go to American Musican And Sound (here) for a list of retailers.