The Audio Product Education Institute (APEI), an initiative of the Audio Engineering Society (AES) that is committed to furthering the knowledge and skills of professionals involved in the development of audio products, will present Interactive Voice Con, an online program designed to address real-world experiences in Voice Integrated Product Development.
This first APEI event will take place online July 9 starting at 4 pm U.S. Eastern time. Registration for this free event is here.
APEI was created by the AES to expand the reach of the Product Development Track of the AES Conventions. The PD Track began in 2014 in Los Angeles at the 137th AES Convention and has continued to grow to become one of the most attended tracks during AES conventions. Scott Leslie, AES Convention Product Development Track Chair, is also leading APEI’s initiatives.
“In the past we have focused on what makes great products, and it has been highly energized by our audiences,” says Leslie. “We want to expand the concept to the practices and technologies that companies need to pre-engineer products to speed time to market, increase market success and lower development risk.”
AES’s APEI Committee is composed of long-term professionals in the audio product development area who saw the dramatic increase in voice interactive audio products market, beginning with the Bluetooth speaker and evolving progressively towards the Smart Speaker, create a huge demand for development professionals with multidisciplinary and highly specialized skills. APEI also identified that universities are teaching strong fundamentals but little audio-specific or hands-on development skills needed to advance these new team members at the rate they need to contribute at a high level. Many seasoned professionals from other product areas are also entering the audio world and need specific audio training and to learn best practices.
“Audio has entered as a major component into many new product areas including Security, Health Care and Traffic Control,” Leslie tateks. “It became clear that the demand for skilled product professionals is greatly exceeding the available education needed to support them.”
AES’s APEI roadmap intends to focus on six educational pillars:
- Interactive Voice Con – The development of voice-enabled products including smart speakers, automotive infotainment systems, smartphones, retail kiosks and others.
- Supply Chain and Sourcing – The methods, practices, economics and politics of the hardware, software and development services that go into every audio product produced.
- Modeling and Measurement – Modeling methods and software, measurement practices and equipment are an essential element in getting products to market quickly and ensuring sustainable customer experience and regulatory conformance. APEI is working to connect with leaders in these areas, including outside the audio industry, to bring knowledge of how to implement these disciplines within an organization and transform product development to the needed state both present and future.
- Product Management – Arguably the most important function in the product world today, yet rarely practiced at the level needed for achieving a high level of market success. APEI plans to bring the top professionals in product management to the world of audio.
- The Legal World – Copyrights, patents, trademarks, intellectual property, contracts and anything else that deals with the legal opportunities and challenges of developing, producing and selling a product today.
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning – The future of how products will function. The amount of research and implementation of this science is remarkable in many areas. Audio products will benefit from these technologies and best practices.
Registration for this free event is here.