Well here we are again. 2013 was fun. We dove heavy into tutorials with the launch of our YouTube channel and our first two in-depth tutorials from Matthew Weiss: Mixing Hip-Hop and Mixing with Compression. Lots of new tutorials on deck for 2014.
We’re also currently redesigning the site, and incredibly excited to share the new design with you. We’ll be switching over within the next month.
It’s become a tradition to do our year-end article roundup. We love sharing useful information and we love supporting our friends. This post lets us do both. And who doesn’t love a good listicle? Have a great 2014.
- How EQ can make your music sound louder – using LESS compression and limiting
- Daft Punk’s Random Access Memories – Why does it sound so good?
- Mastered for iTunes – how to prepare your music (VIDEO)
- There are no “stair steps” in digital audio! What The Matrix can teach us about “resolution”
- If you can’t hear it, it doesn’t matter, right? WRONG
- The Big List of Free Pro Tools Plugins
- Icons: Inside Vince Clarke’s Synth Kingdom in Brooklyn
- Icons: Mick Guzauski on Engineering and Mixing Daft Punk’s “Random Access Memories”
- The Best Small Tube Amps For The Recording Studio
- Why (Almost) Everything You Thought You Knew About Bit Depth Is Probably Wrong
- Portable Recording Booth
- Recording Ambience In Surround
- Guide to Voice Processing
- AES NY 2013 Roundup
- Analog Tape vs Digital Recording: Which sounds better?
- USB Dynamic Podcasting Mic Shootout
- The Awesome Vocal Booth You Already Own
- Music Theory – Simulated Live Performance
- Guitarists Guide to iTunes Organization
- Creating a Master Song List
- Four ways to use mid/side EQ
- 6+ Ways to Get Bigger Bass
- A collection of advanced EQ techniques
- Do romplers have a place in today’s studio?
- What level should your mix be at before you send it to mastering?
- Recording Impulse Responses
- Loudness and Metering (Part 1)
- Transient Enhancement With Explosions
- Capcom Audio Director Tomoya Kishi Interview
The Home Recording Show:
- Show 198 – Interview with Sean Costello ValhallaDSP and more
- Special Show – The Audio Podcaster Roundtable 2013
- Show 215 – Producing “Perfect Little World” with Marco Bucci and more
- Show 212 – Electronic Music Production with Brian Casey and more
Audio Geek Zine:
- DIY Walkman Distortion Effect
- Databending Images With Audacity
- Advanced DeEssing Techniques
- Explosions In This Guy “Surrounded” song dissection
- The Studio Curmudgeon: Gain Structuring With Plug-Ins
- Technical Ear Training: Mastering The Art Of The Invisible
- Making It Meaningful: Practical Applications Of Loudspeaker Analysis
Go here to check out the Top 20 articles on PSW for 2013.
- Interview with Reid Shippen
- How to EQ Rap and Hip Hop Vocals
- How to Use a Pultec EQ. Waves Puig-Tec EQP-1A
- How Does Audio Compression Work?
- Ableton Live: Apply Video Effects Using RokVid Max For Live Device by Adam Rokhsar
- The Democratization of The Recording Business with John Storyk & Craig Anderton
- Ableton Live: Convert Audio Files to MIDI Clips
Home Studio Corner:
- Mixing is ART [Video]
- A Common Drum Bus Compression Mistake [Video]
- A Quick Alternative to Volume Automation [Video]
- A Lesson on Setting Levels [Video]
- 3 Minutes that Change Your Life. That’s What Music is All About
- How to EQ Bass Using These Little Known Harmonic Secrets
- A Simple and Effective Guide to Drum EQ
- Do You Use These 5 Tips for Frustration-Free Drum Recordings?
- Don’t Do These 10 Things While Mixing Your Music
- 7 Resources for Mastering In Your Home Studio
Behind the Mixer:
- How Do Techs Magically Pinpoint a Problem Frequency?
- Mixing Vocals: The Ultimate Guide to EQ’ing Vocals
- Critique Your Mix By Asking These 11 Questions
- 10 Mixing Lies You Shouldn’t Tell Yourself
The Recording Revolution:
- Why 24 Tracks Is All You Need
- Do You Know How To Read Your Meters?
- I Didn’t Know My Converters Were Bad Until Someone Told Me
- 3 Ways To Create More Headroom In Your Mix
Dan Comerchero is the founder and editor of the ProAudioFiles.com, a community blog where audio professionals from around the world share pro audio related articles, techniques, and advice on recording, mixing, production and more.