The new Shure PSM 900 wireless monitor system, unveiled at the ongoing Winter NAMM 2010 show in Anaheim, is encased in an all-metal, ultra-thin wireless bodypack receiver (P9R), paired with a half-rack single wireless transmitter (P9T).
The new PSM 900 uses Shure’s newly-introduced SE425 sound isolating earphones, which feature enhanced sound signatures and premium dual loudspeaker technology.
Unlike earlier SE models, the SE425 includes a detachable cable and formable wire at the earpiece, giving performers accurate sound and a secure fit.
Shure’s patented Audio Reference Companding - a more efficient process for compressing audio signals prior to transmission - and advanced digital stereo encoding, the PSM 900 delivers a natural sound with less noise and greater dynamic range.
The PSM 900 receiver features the same front-end filter as Shure’s UHF-R wireless system, as well as active RF gain control that automatically reduces receiver sensitivity when an overload of RF signal is detected.
The P9R bodypack is, according to Shure, the thinnest personal monitor bodypack available.
The PSM 900 includes CudMode, a patent-pending feature that allows users to audition up to 20 different monitor mixes on a single bodypack at the touch of a button. Any P9R can be used in CueMode so that monitor engineers can quickly hear each performer’s mix, without the need for any additional equipment.
The P9R includes “MixMode” technology, which allows performers to easily set their own levels and create the mix they want without affecting others on stage.
“The audio quality of the PSM 900 system is remarkable,” raves Earl Neal, Monitor Engineer for country superstar Toby Keith. “The use of colors in the LEDs makes the system easy to read at-a-glance, and I really like the construction of the transmitter and pack. I can’t wait to use a rack of these on tour.”
The PSM 900 will be available to ship in mid-2010, and comes with a two-year limited warranty.
PSM 900 Feature Summary:
- Highly efficient 36 MHz tuning bandwidth with optimized frequency ranges allows more channels on-air
- Precision front-end RF filtering significantly reduces RF interference for a cleaner, stronger RF signal, fewer dropouts, and less audible artifacts
- Up to 20 compatible frequencies per frequency range for up to 20 different mixes
- Up to 1,440 user-selectable frequencies
- Patented Audio Reference Companding
- Scan and Sync for simplified setup with no need for additional accessories
- “MixMode” technology to balance the level of two separate channels while simultaneously listening to both signals in both ears
- Cue Mode allows storing and monitoring of up to 20 different stage mixes on one bodypack for quick and easy reference
- Low profile, all-metal bodypack is the thinnest available, rugged and loaded with innovative features
- LCD menu with grouped menu items for easier user interface