Roland Systems Group has introduced a new flagship field recorder, the Roland R-88, providing seamless integration of a recorder, mixer and a multi-channel audio interface.
With eight discrete channels of audio recording plus a stereo mix, the R-88 serves demanding multi-channel applications such as location sound design, event production, event videography, and live musical performance.
The Roland R-88 includes a full on-board mixer, various timecode modes and slate tone/mic for memos. The stereo mix output on the R-88 enables a stereo mix back to the camera to record reference audio or provides a stereo monitor output while simultaneously recording individual tracks.
With 8 discrete outputs you can also embed the audio tracks into a SDI video feed by using a multi-channel SDI audio embedder.
It also features professional AES/EBU digital I/O to digitally record from or send to a mixing console or other digital source.
The R-88’s built-in mixer is equipped with a 3-band EQ enabling a quality stereo mix to be monitored and/or recorded simultaneously along with each discrete audio track. The large touch screen display enables clear and intuitive device setup and control. You can lock the display and front controls to avoid any accidental operations.
Beyond field applications the R-88 is nicely suited for post-production environments featuring a built-in 10-input/8-output USB audio interface for multi-channel recording. The 8-output ports are especially useful for surround projects. The interface function is also able to provide a backup record mechanism simultaneously recording all tracks to a DAW of choice.
The R-88 is extremely portable weighing less than 6 pounds, including eight AA batteries. Optional accessories include a custom carrying bag, and remote footswitch controllers for start, stop and record, marking function, etc.
The Roland R-88 Highlighted Features:
• Simultaneous recording of 8 channels + stereo mix (up to 96kHz)
• Up to 24bit/192kHz uncompressed linear PCM recording (up to 4 channels)
• 3 hours of recording time using 32GB SDHC card (24bit/96kHz, 10ch)
• 8 XLR inputs, 8 XLR outputs, AES/EBU input/output
• Built-in 8 channel mixer with 3-band EQ and MS microphone decoder
• Built-in 10in/8out USB audio interface
• Touch Panel Display for intuitive navigation
• SMPTE time code In/out for video sync
• Supported power types – AA batteries, rechargeable Ni-MH battery, AC power, and 4-pin XLR external battery types.
The R-88 will be available in early 2013.
Roland Systems Group