The Opéra de Lausanne in Switzerland recently re-opened its doors after an extensive renovation and expansion with a new production of The Elixir of Love by Donizetti.
Winners of the expansion contract, architects and Ines Lamunière and Patrick Devanthéry delivered the design challenge with grace. The opera house was built in 1871, modernized in 1930, with the latest upgrades made to the stage, the backstage, orchestra pit, and the interior design of the public areas.
The venue also received a technical upgrade, including a new sound reinforcement system specified by audio consultant Jacques Moyal, assisted by Vincent Taurisson. The design centers on Adamson Systems Systems Metrix line arrays controlled and powered by Lab.gruppen PLM10000Q amplifiers.
Two left and right arrays of three Metrix 5-degree boxes provide coverage to the main floor level, and in the same array structures, two more specially aimed Metrix 5-degree boxes cover the balonies. The arrays also incorporate one Metrix subwoofer.
In addition, a terracotta red loudspeaker array made up of one Metrix sub with four Metrix W cabinets was deployed to cover the center from the very top to the floor, and it appropriately disappears into the classical valance of the stage.
The integrated Lake processing in the amplifiers can independently manage each group of loudspeakers. Audio distribution and PLM control is implemented via a optic fiber network running the Audinate Dante digital audio network protocol, keeping the signal path from console to amplifier purely digital.